Saturday, February 23, 2008

Daily Lenten Meditation

Each day in Lent I will post a meditation from one of our parishioners. Their names are not listed to protect their privacy

Lessons for the Day:  Genesis 43:1-34;  1 Corinthians 7:10-24;  Mark 5:1-20

During the Lenten season, I always try to abstain from certain things in my daily life.  If I am successful I feel a sense of accomplishment.  However, Lent is not about giving up certain foods or bad habits.  Lent is about giving one's self to God and allowing him to cast out the demons in our lives.  Mark 5: 1-20 -- As Jesus asked the identity of the demons that possessed the man, his answer was, "My name is Legion."  We too at times are possessed with legions of sin, and we could only find peace by God's healing.  So this Lenten season, as we give up something, let it be ourselves.