Monday, February 18, 2008

Daily Lenten Meditation

Each day in Lent I will post a meditation from one of our parishioners.  Their names are not listed to protect their privacy


Genesis 41:46-57; 1 Corinthians 4:8-21; Mark 3:7-19

The day I received my Lenten Meditation assignment, I also received another e-mail.  While the former was invited, the latter wasn’t.  It was one of those technology versions of the old fashion chain letter.  I don’t believe in them; I never respond to them.  But there always remains that small niggling bit of guilt that I’m the one responsible for its failure.


In the case of this particular chain letter, while I still believed it to be nothing but empty promises built on a foundation of superstition, the content spoke to me and I printed it out.


Then I turned my attention to the assigned readings.  Genesis addresses the fulfillment of Pharaoh’s dream ably interpreted by Joseph, seven years plenty followed by 7 years famine; Corinthians with unity and order in the church and Mark with the immediate events leading to and including Jesus’ selection of his twelve Apostles.  All of them deal with love, gifts, and “…the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.” 


I was dumbfounded.  The heart of the chain letter, devoid of directives and promises, had provided me with the perfect meditation for today’s readings, The Prayer of St. Theresa.      


May today there be peace within.  May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.  May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.  May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.  May you be content knowing you are a child of God.  Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.  It is there for each and every one of us.