Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Daily Lenten Meditation

Each day in Lent, I post a meditation from one of our parishioners. Their names are not listed to protect their privacy

Lessons for the day:  Genesis 45:1-15;  1 Corinthians 7:32-40; Mark 6:1-13

Genesis 45:1-15: Joseph is Reunited with His Brothers

When I was talking to my family about writing my Lenten meditation, Laurel immediately wanted to help. Although she knew the story of Joseph, we reread it, and this is what she wrote:

The story tells me that Joseph was nice to others when others were mean to him. Joseph gave his brothers and father food. He was very generous to his brothers and father because they did not have food. He wanted to be with his family so he gave them a place to stay in Egypt, where he lived. It is a story about forgiveness.  It means to me that we should always be nice to
one another. If someone is mean to you, you should be nice to them.

Well, that just about says it all, I think! But, not only is this story
about forgiveness,it is also about God’s plans for us. As Joseph said, “God sent me before you to assure [your] survival . . . so it was not you who sent me here [when you sold me into slavery], but God.” Isn’t this something we all need to keep in mind as we go about our daily lives, following its twists and turns, its highs and lows? “God, let us delight in your will.”