Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Daily Lenten Meditation

Each day in Lent, I post a meditation from one of our parishioners. Their names are not listed to protect their privacy

Lessons for the day:  Genesis 50:15-26;  1 Corinthians 12:1-11;  Mark 8:11-26

Lent is different for everyone.  Some people take Lent seriously, and others don't even know what it is.  Some peole, like me, actually do what church folks do.  They give something up they love in honor of what Jesus gave up for us.  Whenever Mike tells me Lent is coming, I immediately start to think, "What can I give up this year?"

Last year, I know I gave up my comfort zone… I'm still working on that.  And therefore this year I'm obviously gonna think of something different to give up.  I personally find it more meaningful to give up something emotionally or mentally than it is to give up something that's a physical thing.  I believe we give up things during Lent for two reasons.  One, to represent what Jesus did for us, and two, to show others and ourselves that we're willing to change to make ourselves better individuals.  I know that I tend to take the things that people say the wrong way.  I want to learn to think before I react.  I don't know what I'll be giving up by doing that, but that's how I want to change to make myself feel more confident in myself and just be a better person.