Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Back to Work

You go on vacation, catch some rest, and you know what happens. Pow! You get back and everything that's been piling up lands in your lap wanting attention right now!

Welcome home.

Only, this time, I got into the office and had a very modest amount waiting. A few phone calls, some mail, someone interested in a wedding calling, someone just out of the hospital – nothing out of the usual. I asked my secretary how things had been, and she said, "Quiet."

Now, how did that happen? And is that a good thing? Shouldn't there be all sorts of craziness waiting for me? Is all this quiet a sign that we are insignificant and don't do anything worthwhile?

You can tell, my insecurities leap out at me when people aren't clamoring for my attention. Which is why vacation is a good thing – makes me remember that the world doesn't revolve around me, and that it won't fall apart just because I'm away.

So today, I resolved to enjoy the quiet season of the church. Yes, we have a lot planned for the Fall. Yes, there is a lot of work to get done in the next couple of weeks. But it will all happen in God's own good time. For now, it's all cream – a joy to soak up just a little more quiet time. A chance to breath deep (suck in that 95 degree heat!), and let the muscles relax, the soul unwind, the peace of Christ enter in.

"Quiet," my secretary said. Rejoice.